7/23/2009

What's For Dessert?

We certainly don't have a set dessert every evening. We often each choose a little taste of whatever baked goods we have on hand. But isn't there something special about having dessert? I love clearing the dinner plates and then serving up a dish of something wonderful. However, after I have planned/grated/chopped/boiled/stirred/baked our dinner the last thing I want to think about is making dessert, too! That's why I decided to try something that would otherwise be totally unappealing to me: microwaved fruit crisp.

I am serious about my fruit crisp. We have it a LOT. I hated the idea of microwaving it and couldn't imagine it would be any good. I went ahead and tried it as a test. The preparation was SO easy. I simply threw it together as our dinner finished baking in the oven. It cooked in the microwave as we ate and by the time I served it, the top had firmed up pretty nicely. It is no comparison to fruit crisp from the oven but we all thought it tasted great!

Microwave Fruit Crisp
1 can fruit pie filling
1/2 c flour
1 c oatmeal
3/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c butter, softened

Put pie filling in a glass 2-qt dish. Combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter. Sprinkle over the pie filling. Cook on high in the microwave for 8-10 minutes.

The joy of a warm dessert without any of the work - ? This is a recipe I will keep!

No comments: